Technical Difficulties - January 2010

Official TPOWIS.NET news. Latest on updates. User feedback

Technical Difficulties - January 2010

Postby Killatron » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Oh man, as many of you may have seen the forum was nearly down for 24 hours after what should have been a routine update. Unfortunately the update failed and I restored the forum to its original state. I am sorta out of my league at diagnosing this problem, so once again I am going to have to put this to the community.

The problem: Updating to the latest version of this board software results in a database schema error. Once *mostly* corrected the update goes on without a hitch. Everything appears fine in the board, posts, accounts, PMs, its all here. However, the attachment system goes haywire. Each attachment gets viewed each time a thread that contains that attachment is viewed. If left be, the attachment view counts will become completely useless and much of the reason for using the system will be lost (as stated by a number of contributing users).

Solutions I can possibly do: Install a fresh copy of the board and somehow try to convert the database. Or, I could switch to BETTER forum software. Perhaps Simple Machines, or maybe go pro with vBulletin. Or just deal with this board until the war against the spam bots becomes a full time job (bad idea I know).

The easiest fix is to somehow fix this attachment issue. However, there is another looming problem with the attachment system of this board. It utilizes a SINGLE folder for ALL attachments. It's become so big I can't even get a directory listing before it times out. The whole system is setup so poorly that eventually something is going to break here. This could mean that migrating to new forum software may be inevitable.

At this point I'm looking for suggestions on the matter.

PS. This thread will be deleted after a solution is found due to security reasons. (just some FYI)

For this post the author Killatron thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:26 pm)
Rating: 7.69%

Killatron
Administration

Have thanks: 204 times

Re: Technical Difficulties - January 2010

Postby healthyfetish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:51 pm

The first question is: is that a bug - you probably have enough resources on your RAIDed box to stand up a quick virtual machine copy with a clean install of the board to test.

I don't know off the top of my head what the specific problem is, but assuming the new version of the software works under normal conditions, we just need a verbose debug log of what's going on when a message attachment is parsed to understand where it is going astray.

How much effort do you want to spend on it? You've had a lot of solid years of running the site, so I think it's worth working through the issue, personally, but we only have so many hours in the day.

HF

For this post the author healthyfetish thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm)

healthyfetish
Lycra Fan

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Pocky » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm only concerned with losing all the attachments I've contributed. However, if that problem isn't able to be solvable, then you gotta do what you gotta do and use new software.
Looking for great indoor volleyball and leggings pics!

For this post the author Pocky thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 pm)

Pocky
Lycra Fan

Have thanks: 48 times

Postby davislove » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Before even Killatron made this post i had my first post already done...anyway to the issue at hand:

I dont know why all of these 'required' softwear updates have to be done...'if it aint broke dont fix it'.
Are they absolutely necsessary...or can you 'cut some corners' and skip a few and only install the absolutely important ones ie 'mission critical'. I am still functioning on a windows98 dell computer bought in 1999 and never 'fixed' or added any newer operating systems...I am sure if i had added all sorts of updates and all of the newer operating systems and memory/ and all those addons this thing would have been junked by now.
Is there a way to 'copy every post and attachment' OR backup the forum's entire content to a back-up storage and somehow reinstall it on the fresh new softwear?
I just hope a sensible solution is found...MY only knowledge is what happened at shinybods when the owner there ran into huge problems when he tried to do new forum software/server and that forum was never the same...he even tried to migrate into a new website shinybodz.com...all i know is that the fate of that forum was sealed the moment he did that...it took several months...the outages, malfunctions caused members to flee in droves.

ps: "It utilizes a SINGLE folder for ALL attachments"...could you try to backup that entire MEGAFOLDER to another server?...or break it up by dates or use someone knowledgeable to get a handle on this situation, to get some fix as to how to make that folder more manageable??
the only other way is to save each and every photo by some sort of photo capture softwear per webpage and save them to subfolders that are big but more manageable

good thing the edit button lasts 24 hours...I thought about something earlier today:
killatron something that you might be able to do since 'we have some time' is to 'hire' via volunteers a couple of moderators 'under short term contract' to copy the photos and some of the posts onto the new 'forum' that would replace this one. What i mean is the most critical thing is to save the photos. The actual wording on the posts is insignificant. Basically the hired help (under the directorship of shl, yourself or Vanman) would copy all of the photos onto the new forum as if your creating a 'duplicate' forum...obviously the 40 pages of leggings would be condensed down to 15-20 or less but they would still contain all of the photos and who posted them in order kindof...I will give an example: lets say pages 32,33,34 of the leggings thread is given to one of the part timers to consolidate into 1 page. I might have posted 3 times on page32, 4 on page34 and 6 times on page34 shl posted twice 3times and 5 times respectively. all of my photos on page 32 would wind up as one post...all of the ones on page 33 also one post ect ect. thats what i mean by consolidating all of the photos into much fewer posts and pages...the posts themselves would be 'lost' but all of the photos would still be there.[color=#0080FF]Thats what i mean[/color]....Once all of the photos and posts have been copied successfully onto the new forum the part time moderators would 'hand in their resignations' and thanked and the new forum that would be debuted would already have most of the photos as archived posts...This would be a lot of work but I think every photo would be 'saved'. :?: Thats my two final cents. Thanks
I am responsible to research and bring 'fresh' content for the benefit of our forum's loyal and growing members

For this post the author davislove thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:29 pm)

davislove
Spandex Aficionado

Have thanks: 2986 times

Postby Killatron » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, I could test the fresh install theory on the existing site. Just setup a new forum along side this one, test the update, if it works, it might be possible to transplant the database and we would be all set. I sent out a tech support request on the issue, but I doubt I will get a response.

@Pocky, fear not. There is pretty much no chance the attachments will be lost for good. Worst case scenario that they can't somehow be moved to new forum software, this board will be frozen and act like an archive. And seriously, manually moving the attachments will be way easier if contributors choose to do so. Photos will be able to be uploaded in zip files. You will be able to get it all moved in less than a third of the time it took to post them originally. Plus, as suggested, a lot of our mods, myself included, will execute the move if need be.

@Davis, just like your obsolete PC operating system, forum software can exploited for vulnerabilities. In essence, the board is broke and it needs fixing. Currently there are a few exploits that have cropped up around here, we see them in the logs, and worse, we see them in posts. One of the reasons you have to log in to even see the posts now is because of a discovered exploit. Such things compromise the community as a whole. You want to talk about losing every attachment, every post, everything is at risk when your not up to date.

As for the megafolder, that's just it, its so large that I can not even access it myself! As in, I can't back it up, I can't even delete it. I would have to contact the server host to have it removed. This presents a SERIOUS problem if I ever had to change hosts. I mean, even if my host would split it up for me / put it into an archive file, I would still not be able to move it to a NEW host... unless I could get FTP software to skip the LIST command during the upload.

For this post the author Killatron thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:30 pm)

Killatron
Administration

Have thanks: 204 times

Postby healthyfetish » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:20 am

DavisLove, no sweat, as Killatron says, the images are safe - his host will have a backup as well, I expect. BTW, your posts are top notch!

Killatron,
There are a few ways to attack the problem of moving large file sets. We can talk about them off-list. As I've said before, I do this for a living.

Some effort invested should yield a safe, stable upgrade with the benefits of the new features and the closing of vulnerabilities. Less spam for the admins, less work for the posters.

For this post the author healthyfetish thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:30 pm)

healthyfetish
Lycra Fan

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Pocky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Killatron wrote:@Pocky, fear not. There is pretty much no chance the attachments will be lost for good. Worst case scenario that they can't somehow be moved to new forum software, this board will be frozen and act like an archive. And seriously, manually moving the attachments will be way easier if contributors choose to do so. Photos will be able to be uploaded in zip files. You will be able to get it all moved in less than a third of the time it took to post them originally. Plus, as suggested, a lot of our mods, myself included, will execute the move if need be.

That's great! Anything to make the forums safer and better is good to me.
Looking for great indoor volleyball and leggings pics!

For this post the author Pocky thanked:
johnsonjack87 (Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:31 pm)

Pocky
Lycra Fan

Have thanks: 48 times

Postby davislove » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Unless its my computer (which I doubt) looks like we are having some technical issues :oops: :oops: ....takes more time than usual to post attachments and then the lag and you get:
the connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

[Started early this morning with my first post that took me 30+ minutes to post ]It occurs intermittently....also just logging in or checking into the forum.................................

:idea: Looks like killatron might need to make a phone call or two out to the customer web service department of godaddy.com located at ''Valley of the sun" area in Scottsdale ARIZ

Image [Scottsdale convention and visitors bureau]
curiously I found a photo: http://www.experiencescottsdale.com/ima ... t_yoga.jpg
from their website that's perfectly appropriate to the topic of this forum caption read: Willow Stream – The Spa at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
I am responsible to research and bring 'fresh' content for the benefit of our forum's loyal and growing members
davislove
Spandex Aficionado

Postby themagic_oftights » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:23 pm

The leggings thread seems to trash the site for me every time I try to view it. I know there was an issue before and some considerations about how the content was going to be managed to help resolve this.

Is anyone else having this issue?
themagic_oftights
Lycra Fanatic

Have thanks: 57 times

Postby davislove » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:08 pm

i am not noticing as much now as i did when i made the post.....hopefully it will get better....i made several posts today and edited a number of them and i did not get any of the effects.....sometimes all the pics on the page dont load so there are still some sidefects; but i was able to post without getting the dreaded this page cannot display....day before yesterday it only happened once. Hopefully others will chime in on this issue or maybe the thing cures itself.....killatron has remained Image (silent) so far

[this forum is hosted/served by godaddy.com based in phoenix with the server farm located in scottsdale thats why i added the scottsdale visitors info]
davislove
Spandex Aficionado

Postby Lycrafan2004 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:03 pm

What is wrong with Imgbox.com?
I tried three times to load the Cycling-Spandex Thread and three times Firefox crashed. First time it crashed a few seconds after i clicked the thread's link on the forum's section, the second time firefox tried to load the page but all i have seen for minutes were the "waiting for imgbox.com" and "downloading from imgbox.com" messages at the bottom left of FF, after 20 minutes i shoot FF and restarted, the third time i shooted it after a few minutes.

I would like to request to delete all threads that use banned or "problematic" (=slow or really slow) image-hosters. Slow image hosters are really a problem on the highly frequented threads cycling, triathlon and girls in leggings more than ever!
Attachments
49.jpeg
Women's legs are the compasses that survey the globe in all cardinal points and give it equilibrium and harmony. (Francois Truffaut)
Lycrafan2004
Spandex Enthusiast

Have thanks: 670 times

Postby davislove » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Lycrafan and anyone else who wants to hear this....i will say it in a very very succinctly way.....

:idea: it took a full minute or a tiny less for the entire page to load; reminiscent of the 20 attachments per post days where MY postings tended to make the server 'hang' and the leggings page could not load....problem is img related there are over well over1000 pics on that page and img isnt as good as before :!:

about 6-8 +/- months ago i remember loading pics on img for a post all of a sudden the web page disappeared....had to reload using another hosting service.....did not pay that much attention to it other than i lost 1/2 hour of loading all of those pics and waiting for the codes.....within a week or so i remember reloading another huge batch and waiting again for the codes the page disappeared; this time i got very annoyed and said i will NOT BE USING IMG EVER AGAIN: AND YOU KNOW WHAT its worked out because i dumped it many months ago before all of the horror stories i am hearing about lately.

i will mention all the hosting services i use.....never ever have i had any problems with any one of these; i recommend them wholeheartedly:
--you all keep clicking on all of my hosted pics and not one complaint yet about a photo that cant be viewed, so far--

:arrow: http://www.turboimagehost.com/ [10mb sized max, all the features you need, i remember using them prior to my arrival to this forum.... i go back with them circa 2005-6]
:arrow: http://www.imagebam.com/ [no explanations needed here; the 'best@oldest reliable']
:arrow: http://imageupper.com [5mb sized max 50 photo max and you cant pick thumbnail size...so more limited but they are quite fast as fast or actually faster uploads than imagebam and its very reliable with absolutely no offensive adds or redirects; the cleanest uploading service of the bunch!!!!]

:arrow: you can always use TPOWIS' own by emailing killatron for authorization to:
http://photohost.tpowis.net/

in conclusion i use the 'k-i-s-s' method of reasoning[keep it simple stupid] when something doesnt work anymore just dont use it :lol: :lol: :lol:
davislove
Spandex Aficionado

Postby Lycrafan2004 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 am

davislove wrote:Lycrafan and anyone else who wants to hear this....i will say it in a very very succinctly way.....

:idea: it took a full minute or a tiny less for the entire page to load; reminiscent of the 20 attachments per post days where MY postings tended to make the server 'hang' and the leggings page could not load....problem is img related there are over well over1000 pics on that page and img isnt as good as before :!:

Of course there may be many reasons why ff crashes. But ff never crashed before while using this forum and the actual configuration. And it is fast, i have a dual core processor and enough workspace, also a fast VDSL connection. So this may not be the reason.
I think it is the imgbox-server.
If many users try to download at the same time the imgbox-server is down.
Women's legs are the compasses that survey the globe in all cardinal points and give it equilibrium and harmony. (Francois Truffaut)
Lycrafan2004
Spandex Enthusiast

Have thanks: 670 times

Return to News, Updates, & Feedback